Jun 23, 2015

Payson Temple Celebration (Part 2)

Three of our children participated in the Payson Utah Temple Cultural Celebration.
They sacrificed many hours to practicing, learning songs, dance moves, and even sign language.
Many Saturdays were spent out in the hot sun at practices instead of with friends.
We arrived at the Cultural Celebration a little before 5:30.  The skies were clear and the sun was out.
A little after 6:00 this happened.  Luckily I had gone to use the facilities while it was still sunny.  Once I waited my turn in the long line (why does the women's restroom always have a long line?), and came out, it was pouring.  I stayed underneath hoping that it was just a scattered shower, like the weatherman said, and would soon clear up.  It didn't.  It got worse and started hailing, then lightning and thundering.
 The rest of my family was up on the bleachers hiding under blankets to try to stay dry.
 It rained and rained, and hailed, and lightninged (is that even a word?), finally they announced over the PA system for everyone to wait for the storm to pass underneath the bleachers.
 So the rest of the family joined me under the safe, dry bleachers.
My poor in-laws were still trying to make there way to the stadium through the weather and the crowds.  We called them and told them the celebration had been delayed and that they should just stay in their warm, dry car until things cleared up.
Unfortunately for us, all of our jackets and blankets were soaked, I'm talking wringing wet, and it was cold!  
Luckily, there were a lot of people crammed underneath the bleachers sharing their body heat.
Someone started singing hymns and before long, everyone had joined in.
I also called my kids who were clear on the other side of the stadium about 1000 to make sure they were still warm and okay, which they were. 
Finally, a little before 7:30, the rains stopped and the skies cleared. The Show will go on!!!

A few days later, the following was going around Facebook.  I'm not sure if it's 100% true, but if it is, it's an awesome explanation for the storm and another "temple miracle". 

I just found out why it rained like it did on Saturday. Elaine Hansen, the women who organized the whole Cultural Celebration program was driving to the airport Friday evening to pick up her son who wanted to come and see the program. Elaine was driving the car and had an seizure. Her husband was in the car and managed to pull the car over without crashing. She had a tumor the size of a baseball in her brain. She still came to the program against the doctor’s wishes and sat in the covered booth at the top of the stadium to watch the program. The rain gave them time to get her to the hospital, be tested, and then make it to the program in time for President Eyring to give her a blessing. She had the tumor removed yesterday (Sunday).