Do We Know What We Have?
by Carole M. Stephens
I felt like this talk had two main messages:
Message #1- The importance of receiving, entering into and keeping priesthood ordinances and covenants.
"All human beings - male and female- . . .is a beloved spirit son or daughter of heavenly parents, and, as such, has a divine nature and destiny. To achieve this divine destiny, each son and daughter of God needs priesthood ordinances and covenants."
We have the opportunity to renew these covenants each Sunday:
"Latter-day prophets and apostles have taught that when we worthily partake of the sacrament, we can renew not only our baptismal covenant but 'all covenants entered into with the Lord'"
What are these priesthood ordinances and covenants?
- BAPTISM- "We covenant to take Christ's name upon us, always remember Him, keep His commandments, and serve Him to the end." If we do these things, Christ promises "that we may always have His Spirit to be with us."
- GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST- Through this ordinance we are given the "right to revelation, a right to the Spirit of God, to assist [us] in [our] labors, in [our] administrations to [our] children, in counseling [our] children and those over whom [we] are called upon to preside."
- TEMPLE ENDOWMENT- "When men and women go to the temple, they are both endowed with the same power, which by definition is priesthood power. . .The endowment is literally a gift of power."
- SEALING ORDINANCE
"These priesthood ordinances and covenants provide access to the fullness of the blessings promised to us by God, which are made possible by the Savior's Atonement. They arm sons and daughters of God (that's me and you) with power, God's Power. . .Our Father in Heaven is generous with His power. All men and women have access to this power for help in our own lives. All who have made. . .and . . .honor those covenants are eligible to receive personal revelation, to be blessed by the ministering of angels [and]to commune with God."
"Do we know what we have? Do we understand the importance of receiving priesthood ordinances and making, keeping, and renewing our covenants with the Lord?"
Do we realize this gift of power and the blessings that come from these sacred priesthood ordinances and covenants? Are we taking advantage of all we've been offered?
Message #2- Men and Women need each other. Each sex is important. One is not better than the other.
"We all need each other. Sons of God need daughters of God, and daughters of God need sons of God. We have different gifts and different strengths. First Corinthians chapter 12 emphasizes the need for sons and daughters of God, each one of us, to fulfill our individual roles and responsibilities according to the Lord's plan, that all may benefit."Sons of God,
- Do you know who you are?
- Do you know what you have?
- Are you worthy to exercise the priesthood power and blessings of the priesthood?
- Do you embrace your roles and responsibilities to strengthen homes as fathers, grandfathers, sons, brothers, and uncles?
- Do you show respect for women, womanhood, and motherhood?
Daughters of God,
- Do we know who we are?
- Do we know what we have?
- Are we worthy to receive the power and blessings of the priesthood?
- Do we receive the gifts given to us with gratitude, grace, and dignity?
- Do we embrace our roles and responsibilities to strengthen homes as mothers, grandmothers, daughters, sisters, and aunts?
- Do we show respect for men, manhood, and fatherhood?
Great questions to ask ourselves and really ponder.
Next Week's Talk:
Elder Timothy J. Dyches